Boy, you've got a prayer in Memphis ~Marc Cohn - Walking in Memphis
My love for Memphis has grown exponentially in the past week. On Sunday, Rita and I went to the FedEx Forum to experience the glutton-fest that was Soup Sunday. We tried all kinds of soups and breads and desserts (definitely front-loaded without too much attention to the whole spectrum of offerings... pretty un-strategic of us, because there was food/soup towards the end that we wanted to try but had no room for). I voted for HOG WILD & A Moveable Feast Catering Companies and their shrimp and grits. I'm not even a shrimp and grits fan, and I loved their sample. Anyway, it was a ton of fun, but thank goodness it's only once a year. There's only so much my stomach can take in one day.
Earlier that weekend, I had discovered Urban Dare, which is coming to Memphis on April 10. It sounds [like an] amazing [race]! Just reading about it brought back great memories of Kara and Paul's Penn State scavenger hunts. Rita and I are going to be a team. Hopefully more friends will field their own teams, and it can be one big competitive party. This might just motivate me to get in shape, as no cars or bikes are allowed. The race starts right down the street from our house, at our favorite neighborhood bar. It's a sign! I've never yet been on a losing scavenger hunt team, and I don't intend to start. Ha.
Finally, the upcoming spring is going to be awesome for music. I'm going with my roommates to see Sara Bareilles in April (I bought a ticket and then won two on the radio!). The week after: this year's Beale Street Music Festival. The lineup just came out, and it is fan-f***ing-tastic. Friday: Jason Mraz; B.O.B.; Cake; Everclear (what a '90s throwback, right? Just wait...). Saturday: John Mellencamp; Ke$ha; Cee Lo; Macy effing Gray; The New Pornographers. Sunday: Ludacris; AMOS EFFING LEE. There are also a ton of big and/or indie names I don't really listen to who will be performing: Stone Temple Pilots, The Flaming Lips, MGMT, Mumford & Sons, The Avett Brothers, etc.
I'd missed Macy Gray on my inspection of the lineup, but neighbor and fellow TFA-er Andy caught it and wrote: can i please have 3 big beers at silky's then go to the live performance of I Try. Hilarious. What a ridiculously surreal experience that would be. I'm still most excited about Amos. I'd been checking his website regularly to see if he was coming anywhere close. Once I saw Nashville, my hopes kind of dwindled, but I guess everyone knows what happens when one assumes things...
I can't always explain why I love it here, but I think these are a couple of very good reasons.
4 comments:
abbie, this just sounds so wonderful. The city of Memphis should be paying you for such glorious recommendations! And as far as your indie mentions go, MGMT is one of my favorites, so you should probably check them out if you can! ;)
I like "Kids," but that's the only MGMT song I know. I got a 3-day pass, so I'll be listening to as much as I can!! :-D
And yes, my city should be paying me! lol.
Won tickets? Awesome!
Yup, the radio station was giving them away at the ungodly hour of 6:40 a.m. Perfect for a teacher on her commute to work!
...still haven't received them yet, but I'm hopeful.
Post a Comment