Don't let the title of this post fool you: I haven't discovered any new must-listen up-and-coming music (though I highly recommend giving Thompson Square a listen; "Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not" is fantastic). I'm referring to being in a band, something I have not done in at least five years.
A fellow TFA-er, Steph, heard about a community band in the area and decided to join. I decided to check out the first rehearsal of the year with her, and it was a ton of fun. I was sight-reading and flubbing everything (so pretty much just like when I was in high school band...), but it was still so soul-cleansing to forget about teaching for two hours and just make and listen to joyful noise. The people were also uber-friendly, which made it even more enjoyable.
I'm glad I'm sticking to my conviction to get out of my TFA bubble. Of course I love TFA and the people, but there's more to Memphis than this job and this commitment. Plus, having more to do forces me to make the most out of other time.
So here's to new adventures, even ones as simple as joining a band.
No comments:
Post a Comment