11.10.2009

F*** Yeah

And if I count all my blessings, I get a smile on my face. ~Sugarland - Just Might (Make Me Believe)

One reason I love my parents: They bet each other on whether or not I would get into Teach For America. I guessed that my dad would bet on me to get in, but it was actually the other way around. Well, I guess Mom wins, then, because I got in!!

I am so, so, so excited about this. Obviously. I mean, if you've talked to me at any time in the past, oh, seven years or so, you've known about this intense desire to join TFA. Heck, if you've even read this blog for the past month, you've known.

I was nervous about it all day. So nervous I was nauseous. So nervous I could barely swallow the chicken fingers I had for dinner. And even though everyone told me, "Oh, you're definitely in. Oh, you're a sure thing," I just couldn't believe there were any sure things when it came to Teach For America.

After 11 a.m. or so, I decided to stop checking my e-mail compulsively and to stop going on facebook to avoid seeing if others had found out yet. I told myself I would just log in to the website after 8 p.m., which is when the site said decisions would be posted for sure. With Mike as my moral support online, I signed in a little before 8 p.m., saw the word "Congratulations," and couldn't stop smiling. Secondary math in Memphis. I can't even explain how perfect this is. Because, honestly, despite checking all the subjects I could possibly teach, secondary math was always my first choice. And Memphis! I just want to type a row of exclamation points.

I think I will.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel incredibly blessed that things are falling into place just as I wanted them to. Of course, I know I have worked damn hard for all this wonderfulness, and I am giving myself the credit, but I also believe that there is a hell of a lot of luck involved, too. I can't believe how great this semester is turning out to be. I deserve this. I am awesome. If not a little cocky.

(By the way, I was always planning to post on TFA decision day... if it had been a no, the title of this post just wouldn't have had the "Yeah.")

No comments: