To give you an idea of how Admitted Students Weekend 2.0 started off, I present to you Texts from Last Thursday:
(keep in mind: Jeff dropped me off at the airport at 3:30 p.m. for my 4:10 p.m. flight)If it wasn't clear from the three times I texted about it, I can't remember a flight out of Memphis that has not been delayed for me. Doesn't matter to where: D.C., Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia... The Memphis airport just officially hates me. If it's not waiting to get the plane deiced, it's a groundstay due to weather or a delayed flight coming into the gate. Can't believe the world's second busiest cargo airport can't get its shit together for commercial use.
4:50 p.m. to Rita and Jeff: guess who's still in memphissss lol. t-storms in atl... we're still grounded. i'm so effing tired...
4:55 p.m. from Jeff: See you didn't need to rush!
4:56 p.m. to Jeff: lol i know!!! this ALWAYS happens! just like last time we rushed for my flight to boston. i swear, i have never left memph airport on time.
5:00 p.m. from Jeff: Go grab a beer
5:14 p.m. to Jeff: omg that was completely my first thought
5:40 p.m. to Rita: jesus christ, i have never left mem on time. on the 7 p.m. to philly. i think this was the flight i wanted but was $200 more expensive lol
5:48 p.m. to Jeff: Having a bacon cheeseburger instead and i'm ok with that
6:12 p.m. to Rita: OMG WTF this flight is 40 minutes behind schedule!!! memphis, i do not love you this much!!!!
9:48 p.m. from Rita: Man, i sure hope you've lifted off already...
11:20 p.m. (EST) to Jack: just landed in philly, thank god. i could do without ever being in the memphis airport again. i have never once left that place on time
Thankfully, the rest of the weekend was just fantastic. Pat was super nice about not only hosting me an extra night but also picking me up so late from the airport even though he had interviews the next day, and on Saturday morning, we had breakfast with Chen and Matt, which was a nice reunion. I'd seen Pat and Matt for New Year's with Kara and Paul, but hadn't seen Chen since February 2010 according to my Google Calendar (yeah, I'm kind of OCD, so what?). We had some deliciously unhealthy eats (which partly explains why I've felt the need to eat three bowls of leafy greens tonight) and catch-up conversation. Saturday afternoon, my parents and Flip picked me up from the law school for dinner in the city and the drive home.
The law school part of the weekend was similarly wonderful, though not quite as fun as ASW 1.0 (no student organization-sponsored open bar, for one). Met lots of fascinating people with great stories, including no fewer than four teachers, half of whom were TFA. Literally, the first person I talked to before the opening session was a second-year corps member in Houston. What was really strange about this go-round was that nearly everyone I met was coming from some sort of work experience (and I even met a handful of others who'd deferred) and not straight from undergrad, while the exact opposite was true of my first trip two years ago. Whether the demographics have truly changed or whether I just naturally gravitate toward those who are like me (which seems unlikely, considering everyone looked about the same age, and there was no way to tell that there would be a TFA alumna at the same assigned lunch table as I was), it made me feel a lot better about not being the only "old" person around next year. Finally, the mock class after lunch made me really pumped to be a student again. Oh, to be someone who is talked at, rather than the one doing the talking at...
In the midst of all this law school stuff, I also managed to get in a couple of apartment visits, and I got to see a variety of places with a variety of rent values. It's still pretty early, but I've got my eye on a few places, and I've been Craigslisting and PadMapping like crazy. It's a nice distraction from the fact that I have to teach tomorrow.
A few quick things before I get my beauty sleep: I participated in my first Gallup poll today! Kind of weird to answer the questions over the phone in a Dunkin' Donuts, but I made it work. And lastly, I was accepted to the master's in education policy program at Penn while I was in Philadelphia on Saturday! I'm very happy, of course, and they're offering me some money, too, which is obviously clutch, but I've definitely got a lot of decision-making ahead in the next month or so. We all know how I do oh-so-well with options...
No comments:
Post a Comment