7.27.2010

True Love

True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be. ~origin unknown

I am the last person you should ask about romantic love, but let me tell you what I know about true love: True love is driving 1,000 miles with your daughter only to leave her alone in some weird city. True love is fitting a futon, a dresser, a desk, a computer, a printer, and an office chair in your minivan to drive 1,000 more miles to make sure your daughter has furniture in her new home.

True love is spending your 25th wedding anniversary driving the last leg of those 1,000 miles.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: raising children is the most selfless job anyone can undertake. It is a permanent life choice that defines you as a person. You trade in your childless identity and become, forever, someone's mom, someone's dad. And you sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice for that someone or those someones, and being a parent is, at once, the greatest and the hardest thing you can ever do.

True love is trying every day to be worthy of another's true love.

No comments: