12.19.2009

Bang

So the good boys and girls take the so-called "right track" / faded white hats / grabbing credits / maybe transfers / They read all the books but they can't find the answers ~John Mayer - No Such Thing

If classes ended with a whimper, at least this finals week has ended with a bang: I checked my grades this morning - all A's! And it only took me eight semesters to get there. Ha. The closest I'd ever come before was second semester freshman year, when A-minuses in chem lab and ballroom dance kept me from the elusive 4.0. Then it was more or less a lightly-sloping downward trend from there. Even though grades are kind of inconsequential at this point, it still feels good to have a little validation that I am capable of academic perfection. May this be the start of many 4.0 semesters to come - two years down the line.

In law school news, I got into Cornell and Penn earlier this week! Right now, Penn is at the top of my list, and I know it is at the top of my mom's list, period ("after two years in Memphis, don't you think you should be a little closer to home?"). I think she was even more excited than I, if that's possible. There's something about finding out over the phone that is much more exciting - and satisfying - than finding out in an e-mail or letter. Seeing that 215 area code come up on my phone gave me such a thrill. Plus, you're actually talking to someone who [probably] read part of your application; you get to verbalize your giddiness (maybe that's just me...) while trying not to sound like a total flake; that other person gets to share in your joy. It's all very, very nice.

Thought the snow would keep me from going home today (one of the top 10 storms ever, or so they forecast), but my dad is gamely coming to get me. Just have to finish packing up my room and then it's adios, residence halls forever. Let's just hope that the roads aren't too bad on the way back. Apparently there's supposed to be about a foot of accumulation at home before the end of the day. Perfect timing, Mother Nature, just perfect. Could you not have waited at least a day?

No comments: